29 September 2009
25 September 2009
You'll need: a Barbie (of the dollar store variety), oil, spices, salt, and gauze or other cloth.
Make an embalming fluid by mixing oil and spices and spread it all over the doll.
Tuck in some "amulets" which served as good luck charms.
Mummies Made in Egypt is a great book to go along with your study of mummies which describes the mummification process in great detail.
21 September 2009
I'll be honest, I wasn't and still am not exactly sure what I'm doing. But I've seen big results for rather little input. We've read a few books about Bach and listened to CDs of Bach's music all from our local library. We Netflixed a DVD of Bach performances. And that's pretty much it. But Gracie's interest in Bach is flourishing!
I definitely want to take advantage of some musical learning opportunities. Gracie's started taking an interest in musical instruments, guessing which instruments she is hearing during the songs. So we'll be looking more into that. We also might even dive in and begin piano lessons. I've been planning on doing music lessons eventually. Now might be a very good time to start.
Listen to Bach on Pandora
Watch Bach: Greatest Hits (available from Netflix)
Read Johann Sebastian Bach (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Composers)
Read Johann Sebastian Bach (Primary Source Library of Famous Composers)
Listen to Bach Greatest hits (from our local library)
Weeks 4, 5, and 6 are still ahead of us, but here's what I have tenatively planned:
Classics for Kids website and worksheet
Read Sebastian: A Book about Bach
Leonard Bernstein - Young People's Concerts
Learn about different types of instruments: brass, strings, woodwind, percussion
Making Music Fun lesson plans
Bach appreciation fancy tea party
14 September 2009
First of all this book is a great child's-eye view of Paris. It's a great way to see Paris and all it's wonderful landmarks in a natural, "not teachy" setting. You can even follow the children's route through the city on the endpapers of the book.
Secondly, this book has layers. In addition to introducing your child to the monuments of Paris, there are nods to some great French artists. Edgar Degas and Mary Cassatt even make a cameo appearance. (Read more at the Amazon.com review of Adele & Simon.)
Thirdly, there are I-Spy opportunities on every page. As Simon and Adele make their way home through Paris, Simon loses things as he goes. Can you find his missing item on each page?
Adele & Simon is such a wonderful and fun book. If you can't take a field trip to Paris, spending some time with Simon and Adele is the next best thing.
Check out (pun intended) other great books at the inaugural Children's Book Blog Hop at The Joyful Chaos.
04 September 2009
03 September 2009
Educational and strategy games
Many of these activities are in line with the Charlotte Mason philosophy, which we are adopting this year. It will be interesting to see what else happens on Thursdays this year!
Read more at FiveJs.
01 September 2009
I just received my first blog award from Three Queens and a King. Thank you! Now I have to tell 10 things about myself and pass it on to 10 more bloggers. Here goes:
1. I owned a Volkswagon Westfalia camper van named Mothauthau, which according to my Sesotho dictionary means one who picks people up from various places.
2. I'm definitely NOT a neat freak, but I do like keeping the clothes in my closet in "rainbowetical" order.
3. I've only had one cavity ever. Unless you count the one that I had in my wisdom tooth that was pulled. But that definitely doesn't count.
4. I had been to all 50 states by the time I was 16 years old.
5. I am a terribly cheap person.
6. I hate running. I would rather walk or hike for 20 miles than run one.
7. Autumn is my absolute favorite time of the year. Unfortunately we don't really have an autumn in southern California. Sigh.
8. I worked at Chuck E. Cheese all the from high school through college. And yes, I dressed up as the rat once in a while.
9. Dr. Pepper (called "Deep" in our house) is my drink of choice. I do limit myself to 1 a day and have even switched to diet in a lame effort to be "healthy".
10. I have a thing for completing things. That's why this has been sitting unpublished for the last week until I could come up with number ten!
I'd like to pass this award on to some lovely and talented ladies:
6. Love 2B Home