01 June 2009

First Grade Curriculum Preview

Here's a look ahead at what I'll be using this fall for our first grade curriculum. I am such a nerd that I love researching all the curriculum options. I'm a little sad it's all decided. But my joy will be renewed next month when all the back-to-school sales start, I buy my lesson plan book, and start getting things down on paper!

Language Arts: Explode the Code 3 & 4, First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind (Peace Hill Press)

Poetry: Weekly poem from Ambleside Online (All the poems are online. Could it be any easier? My intimidation has been eased!)

Math: Saxon 1

Science: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day, ScienceWorks for Kids (Animals with Backbones, Animals without Backbones, Plants, How Your Body Works), The Body Book (Might be a bit much, but I love science!)

Nature Study: Handbook of Nature Study

History: The Story of the World Volume 1, The Ancients (Peace Hill Press) (I'm very excited about this one. I've heard great things about it. I even splurged and bought the audiobook, too.)

Bible: Memorization, Calvary Capel curriculum, although I'm still looking. Any recommendations?

Music: Listening to a composer of the month on Pandora during teatime. (I'm still working out how I will choose the composers. Any ideas?)

Art: Masterpiece of the Month

P.E.:The Ultimate Homeschool Physical Education Game Book

I'm still not totally sure how/if I'll be integrating unit studies and the Charlotte Mason method. There's a session at CHEA on that very topic that I am very much looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment