11 April 2009

Book of the Week: "Weslandia"


I first came across Weslandia while working on a children's literature project for my teaching credential. This book has so many layers and covers so many subjects that it was practically begging to be my choice for the basis of a literature unit I had to create as a final project. Of course I agreed. Being a picture book you wouldn't think it would be appropriate for older students, but because of the theme of civilization and culture, it would be great for a student learning about the ancient world. I've also read to my three-year-old, who although doesn't get every nuance, enjoyed the book very much.

This is a great summertime book that could inspire some creative and innovative projects. I must admit that it has been a while since I've read this book , but I think it's time for a revisiting. I might even dig up that theme unit and put it back into use.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book, Beth. Thanks so much for posting about it - I'll look it up at our bookstore this week. We have teacher discount days coming up this week. Yippee!
    Thanks Beth - have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this book either but it seems like it is great for all ages.

    ReplyDelete