25 August 2009

And now for something completely different...

I have completed posting all of our theme units we covered during Gracie's kindergarten year. you can find a list of them here. I loved planning theme units and thought it was a very appropriate way to ease into formal education in kindergaten, though I wanted something a bit more structured, chronological, and organized for first grade and beyond.

Therefore, for first grade we are going in a slightly different direction. I will be following the classical education scope and sequence model for history and science using many of Charlotte Mason's methods.

I've done a lot of research and thinking about this and am very excited about the upcoming year. We will still do some unit studies based on what we're studying this year. I've already decided to do a mini-unit on bears inspired by our camping trip last week! So although we may not be theme unit focused, we're still having fun learning and I'll keep you posted along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment