29 August 2009

Preschoolers and Homeschooling: My Secret Revealed

I have 3 children, ages 6, 3, and 19 months. I homeschool my oldest who is in first grade. So what do I do with the other two?

Here's my secret: they sleep.


Napping outside at Sequoia National Park
We don't do school in the morning. We'll read stories or do field trips, library trips, co-ops, nature walks, and other assorted activities in the mornings. But we really don't crack open any "schoolbooks" until 1:30. That's the magic hour. That is naptime.



And school time.

Last year I told myself she was doing "half-day" kindergarten. Well that schedule has been working out so far for us this year, too.

Did I mention my kids are great sleepers? They are amazing sleepers. They don't take piddly little naps. Oh, no. It's 2.5 to 3 hours just about every day. You can get a lot done in 2.5 to 3 hours.

I actually have a whole box of activities for my 3-year old to do while we're doing school, but she never gets to use them because she sleeps through it all. It makes her sad, but I'm okay with that. She'll stop napping soon enough.

But for now, I heart nap time.

3 comments:

  1. My kids have been great nappers also, you can get a ton of work done in those 3 hours! Oliver will take up to 4 hour naps some days also :) Gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kids were great nappers. It doesn't happen anymore though. They are 4.5 and 3. That's why the workboxes system is so great for me. It gives my 3yo something to do while I work on school with my Kinder. I wish mine still napped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I'm glad to read about how you worked out school time with kids of different ages as I have two three year olds and a newborn. But you're right - you can get a LOT done in an hour! Especially in the younger grades!

    SeaBirdChronicles.com

    ReplyDelete