17 February 2009

WFMW: Score!

I love thrift stores. Always have. At least since I discovered them in college. But they are not always the easiest places to navigate with three children five and under. Sometimes it takes a little bit of digging and searching to find that bargain in the rough. So it's been a while. But last week I rediscovered the joy, the thrill of the hunt, the satsifaction of success! Here's what I found:

The Polar Express (Van Allsburg),

The Legend on the Indian Paintbrush (dePaola), (for a unit on Native Americans coming up this semester)

Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? (Carle),

Frog and Toad Together (Lobel), (Gracie's reading these by herself now!)

A Pippi Longstocking book (that must have been comandeered before I took the picture!)

The Cat in the Hat; One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; Dr. Seuss' ABC book (all by Dr. Seuss. We'll be doing a Dr. Seuss unit to celebrate his birthday coming up on March 2nd)

Ed Emberly's Great Thumbprint Drawing Book (a very sneaky way to work on fine motor skills!)

Brain Quest (2nd grade)

And all for about a dollar each! And what's even more impressive, the kids were with me! Yeah me!

I know photography does not work for me (see above), but finding good homeschooling stuff at thrift stores for a song does work for me!

See what works for everyone else for the last time (sniff) at Rocks In My Dryer.



4 comments:

  1. I am a children's book addict...great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love when my local library would have their monthly used book sales. Pay $3 for a brown bag, and fill it!

    I don't go as much now because I have run out of bookshelf space.

    I have a hard time not bringing more home all the time.

    Good job on your loot!

    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Beth! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and for commenting. I love comments! ;-) I'm glad you found some tips you could use. I totally agree with you about the thift store. We have a favorite thrift store and used book store locally. It's a good thing they're so cheap or they could get me in a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite bookstore is Goodwill! No book over $1.99. I can't leave without a stack!

    Good job on your book finds!

    ReplyDelete